Now that the New Year is fully upon us, now is the time to start breaking bad habits. You might be all in with a new diet or exercise plan, but what about your beauty routine? Do you have any lurking bad beauty habits you need to part with this year? Here are a few you should take note of:
1. Stop messing with your acne. For some reason, it is human nature to pop and squeeze any pimple that pops up. But doing so can make your skin bleed, cause infection or even cause a scar where a normal pimple would soon heal on its own. Instead, keep your fingers to yourself and treat the pimples with acne medicine and proper cleansing.
2. Don’t share makeup with your besties anymore. It might seem like the friendly thing to do when a friend asks to borrow your lip gloss, but sharing any type of makeup, especially lip or eye products, can cause infection or pass an illness around. If someone asks you, just politely say you don’t share makeup because you don’t want either of you to end up with any type of infection.
3. Start washing your face before bed, girlfriend! Even when you’re sleepy or even drunk, try to remember to wash your face before you hit the hay. If you often are lazy and leave your makeup on to stain your pillow, put a packet of makeup removing wipes by your bedside. Sleeping with makeup on can clog your pores and lead to acne and will dull you skin. If you sleep with mascara on regularly, it can even break your lashes.
4. Stop biting your nails and picking your cuticles. For many, this can be a nervous habit. But remember, not only does biting your nails and cuticles cause your nails to look anything but beautiful; you’re also putting your hands in your mouth. Your hands have touched many germs and now you’re ingesting those germs, which could lead to illness. So stop making your fingers bleed! Try wearing a gross tasting nail polish or simply keep your hands busy when you’re nervous so you’re less tempted to pick.
5. Be smarter with your exfoliation game. If you never exfoliate, you could be missing out on glowing and brighter skin with less acne. However, if you over exfoliate, you could have dry skin, redness and irritation on your hands (or rather, your face). Exfoliate once a week for best results.
6. Stop avoiding SPF. You know you want to avoid skin cancer, wrinkles, sun spots and other sun damage, so use at least SPF 15 every day. Use a moisturizer with SPF in it to ensure you never forget.
7. Lastly, the most important bad habit to break is smoking. Smoking ruins your skin, teeth and nails. It causes wrinkles, stains your teeth and nails and just plain kills you.