Pregnancy and child birth are the most crucial periods in a woman’s life. We decide to entrust our self to a doctor who is ready to take responsibility for both mom and the child. A good doctor will help the lady go through pregnancy period with minimum stress. Before deciding the gynaecologist, there are a few things that we have to consider.
1. QUALIFICATION- a gynaecologist should be a fully qualified professional with the respective degrees and should not be a general practitioner who can deliver babies. Also, it is better that the gynaecologist should be a ‘obstetrician’, one who can deliver babies and ensure pre natal care to the babies.
2. EXPERIENCE- An experienced doctor is always preferred in cases of pregnancy and delivery. We can get the information about the doctors from the hospital’s website and look up the number of years she/he has been practicing as a gynaecologist. The more experienced , the better always
3. MALE DOCTORS- when it comes to gynaecologist we all generally prefer a female doctor. But the gynaecologist might be an male as well. All that matters is the reputation of the doctor and his care.
4. DISTANCE- The hospital or the clinic of the gynaecologist should be nearby the residence. Pregnancy is full of surprises anytime the mother fall sick and complications might arise. Also, the labor pain might start at any time. The doctor should be available nearby to attend the patient immediately.
5. TRUST AND RELATION- throughout the pregnancy it is going to be the same doctor who is going to take care of us. The relationship between the doctor and patient should be good and comfortable. The doctor should be such that the patient is ready to trust the doctor completely.
6. COST- the consultation fees and hospital charges should be considered by the family and decide if they can afford it. A number of tests will be conducted during the pregnancy period, so keeping in mind all the tests it should be decided.
7. RESPONSIVENESS AND TEAM- the doctor should be able to provide immediate medical assistance in times of distress and should also have a good team of other medical professionals along with him/her to assist during the time of delivery.
8. REVIEW- asking around people known can lead us to a good doctor certainly. Word of mouth is the best communication tool so far when it comes to reviews! The family members or friends who have visited the doctor previously will be able to share experiences with us. Also. Reviews and testimonials can be read from the internet too before choosing the doctor.
These are the points that are important before choosing the gynaecologist.